The G.W - Beef and Horseradish Sauce Ciabatta

G.W.

Beef and Horseradish Ciabatta

Date of visit: 16 May 2009.

 

So I am sitting here. The keyboard awaits my command. My fingers are poised to write this first piece in this new, exciting, state-of-the-art blog.

My brain wracks itself, considering every possible colourful adjective, every fork-tongued comment, every humorous articulation. Can I deliver the killer review… ?

Actually no I can’t because all I think about is how to include the MP’s expense scandal into this?

I can’t find one angle I could use to legitimately incorporate such a news event into my blog.

BALLS!!!

If I chose my first sandwich more carefully I could have said something about MPs learning from Subway. You order a foot long sub from there you get all the transparency you need in life. Everything is right there in front of you, nothing hidden away, no Telegraph reporters looking through your bins...

But I didn’t (maybe I should have saved that thought instead of wasting it here and now).

I didn’t go to Subway (I will just not yet), I went to the G.W which is one of my favourite pubs in Swindon. I like the place. I like the staff (who are always friendly). I like the service (always as quick as possible even when the place is busy). The pub is clean and the menu is large, there are a lot of sandwiches to choose from.

My beef sarnie was on the specials board and only cost four quid but the large plate that came out was full of chips and salad. The value for money stakes (get it stakes… steaks… beef-steaks… do you see what I did there?)... As I was saying the bar has been set because I challenge anyone to find a restaurant or pub that serves more food for less money.

The only problem I had was the amount of horseradish sauce on the bun. I am not sure if you have ever eaten too much horseradish sauce in one go. It’s not very nice. It’s like twenty-five fire eaters trying to impress Simon Cowell while failing to not look down Amanda Holden’s cleavage just in case they burn down the theatre – needless to say the blaze is imminent, its just up your nose and Ant and Dec are not about.

I could have scraped off some of the horseradish but that would have meant I would have had to stop eating… so I put up with the burning sensation like your average syphilis patient.

The meat was very tasty and cooked well (not chewy at all, very succulent). The ciabatta bun (triangular in shape) was soft and fresh. If you are ever wondering where to go for lunch, well you could do worse than going to the G.W (check out their website for details / www.thegw.co.uk).

Right then, I’m off, still find a way to incorporate the expense scandal into my piece so I just going to leave it well alone and say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment